Apple Investigations



Hi Friends!! Back to School has been kicking my booty!! But I am finally getting in the swing of things! One of my favorite weeks is coming up, and boy I know that my kids are going to have a BLAST! I am going to tell ya’ll about some science that I do with my kiddos! So beware of a LOT of pictures and lots of fun!


Evaporation Experiment:


We take three apples, one peeled, one whole and one cut up into fourths. We leave them out all week and each day we measure them with a balance and unifix cubes. We keep track on an anchor chart. We start this on Monday, and continue through the week.
Presentation2
This is how they look through the week. I am not going to lie, they are GROSS!
Slide7Slide5Slide4
Slide6Slide3


Apple Tasting:
I just love talking about apples, and I REALLY love eating apples. So I get three different types of apples: golden delicious, granny smith and Fuji. I give each kiddo a slice of each. We taste them one by one. Then I give them an apple to color. They color it their favorite flavor’s color. Then we graph them. We do this on Tuesday.
Slide1Slide9



Seasons of an Apple Tree: I read The Season’s of Arnold’s Apple Tree, then we together, make this anchor chart. Then we add details to what happens during each season.





This is a freebie over at TpT here:


seasons of an apple tree freebie



Apple Pie:
On Thursday we make apple pies and taste test them! We take pre-made dough and apple pie filling and make us cute little apple turnovers. So easy to do!! And then they decide if they like it or not!
Slide8Presentation21



Apple Investigations:
On Friday, we finally investigate the inside of the apple!! We make a diagram of the inside of an apple (The labels are a freebie over at First Grade Blue Skies HERE)
Slide15

Then we peel and core the apples (I had to buy me one of these bad boys, because my former partner took hers with her when she retired)
Slide14





Then we make the best smelling applesauce!
Slide13
I hope you guys have a GREAT week!




These are so much fun to do with your students. I do have a file on TpT if you just want to print and make your own anchor charts. But these awesome activities can be done with out it!

apple science anchor
     


1 comment

  1. Do you have a favorite Johnny Appleseed book that is geared towards pre-k? I struggle with this every year.

    Thank you for all your amazing products and ideas!

    ReplyDelete