Alternative Seating




So recently I have had some people ask me about how I run my classroom with alternative seating. It has been a gradual transition that has been going on for about 4 years now. My first year teaching I went to the Oklahoma Kindergarten Conference, and listened to Kim Adsit talk about how she does alternative seating. It has taken me a couple of years to get it down to a science! My first step was giving my students a bag of supplies. 


 Each of my kids has a carpet bag. In each of their bags is their clipboard (in my opinion the most important tool that they have!) their crayon box and a dry erase eraser. They also have a dry erase pocket that has an activity that they can do when they are done early or as their morning work.

I know that how they can access their tools can be done a couple different ways. This is actually the way I started handling their tools, and each year I have tried something different. 

Option One:
This is the ONLY picture I can find, and it is not front facing, SORRY! But each kiddo is specified a color. In the top drawer they put their crayon box. In the second drawer they kept their clipboards. In the third drawer they kept their glue sticks, markers and scissors. This was an easy way for them to keep track of their supplies! This puts all their supplies out and in one place. I also broke up the sterilite containers and had them placed around the room, so when we were getting supplies they were not all focused in one location.


Option Two:


Each of my kiddos has a cubby where they put their coat and backpacks. Right now they keep their crayon box in their cubbies too. When they need scissors/glue/erasers/pencils they go to the community supplies and get whatever it is they need. 





In my classroom we have different option of where my kiddos can sit! There are two different times of the day, where my kids have options. 1) Whole Group teaching. I am in front of the SmartBoard and they are sitting on the carpet. If we are working on an assignment together, they have their clipboards. 2) Individual Work/Center Time: This is when the kids can choose where to sit. This is where the fun starts!!

 Scoop Chairs. I bought mine at Walmart, but I have heard they are at Aldis this week. Or you can order from Amazon. The kids take their clipboard and can rock anywhere around the room.



My Bathtub. I have taken the pillows out of the tub. But they still LOVE working in it. Right now only one kiddo is allowed in there at a time. But eventually I will allow two in!




Crate Seats. I have these peppered across the room. They are at my kidney table, computer table and student table. They also are at random places where the kids have drug them. 




The famous Picnic Table. Officer Hofficer made this for my classroom two summers ago. It is perfect for little Kindergarten Booties. And behind the table, you can see the computer table. 




I have had a lot of people asking me how I manage the seating. I will add pictures tomorrow but here is a real quick run down!

Picking the Seats
My carpet has four rows of numbers, each a different color.

I call my students to pick their seats based off which row is doing what they are supposed to. This way my kids are sitting quietly. By now, I know who is going to pick what option. They are pretty set in their ways. I know which girls are going to sit at my table, which boys are going to grab the rockers. But this way it allows the kids to choose which ever they want (even if they pick the same thing)

We also have a rule that, you may not grab a chair, or get in the bathtub until you have all your supplies and are ready to learn.

Storage:

This one I will have to add a picture to. I have been so blessed with a bathtub for my classroom. It once belonged to my mother when she taught, but that is my storage system. Ball Chairs, Bean Bags and Scoop chairs all get thrown into the tub.


Well I am off to bed! I would love to answer any questions you might have about how we do Alternative Seating in our classroom!






6 comments

  1. Hi everyone I'm Olivia Hannah and am here to share the wonderful work Dr Raypower did for me. After 5 years in marriage with my husband with 2 kids, my husband started acting weird and going out with other ladies and showed me cold love, on several occasions he threatens to divorce me if I dare question him about his affair with other ladies, I was totally devastated and confused until a old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr. Raypower who help people with relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contact him, he helped me cast a love spell and within 48hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with other ladies and his with me for good and for real. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Urgentspellcast@yahoo.com or WhatsApp: +14243308109.

    Read more about him on his website: https://urgentspellcast.wordpress.com/  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is JANE LAWTON from USA i want to share an amazing experience i had with the almighty PRIEST MAURICE, my husband Greg filled for a divorce i was really devastated i cried day and night everyday i told a friend of mine about the situation and she told me about the powerful spell caster PRIEST MAURICE i was feeling a little bit skeptical about it but i just decided to give him a try i did every thing he asked me to do and he promised me 48hrs result and the next morning to my greatest surprise it was Greg on his kneels begging me to forgive and accept him back i'm so happy all thanks to priest maurice he can also help you contact him Email:text:+1(401)217-3175 . email:psychicspellsolution@gmail.coM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you looking for ways to hit the lottery jackpot? Search no more for Dr Amber can help you win the lottery you want with his powerful lottery spell. Visit: amberlottotemple.com or WhatsApp +1 318 306 5044 or email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com for his spells are genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been unlucky playing the Lottery over the years. I couldn't take the pain anymore and I searched for help online. I saw random positive reviews of DR AMBER saying how he has been helpful with his spells. I visited his webpage: ( amberlottotemple.com ) and he told me what was required to get what I seek for done and I accepted. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a MEGA JACKPOT winner and he gave me the right numbers to play the Lottery. I had faith in him and I went back to the store a few days later to confirm if I had won and while the clerk was checking my ticket, I heard her say ‘Oh my God! I looked up and saw the Big Winner screen of $36,449,852.60. I was completely shocked, but calm. It feels amazing – I can’t imagine this shift in my life and I want to appreciate this man DR AMBER for his help. It’s not everybody that is naturally lucky to win the Lottery but the solution to win is DR AMBER. For more info Call/Text/Telegram +1 808 481 5132 or E-mail: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband just woke up and decided our marriage was over. For a few months now, Roger and i have not been going well because he was having an affair with his assistant at work. I loved my husband so much and decided to stay and work on our marriage. In a short time, Roger stopped coming home and his close friend told me he has another apartment where he live with her. I was hurt and went on seeking for help because Roger was different from the man i married 10 years ago. Luckily, i found Dr Ilekhojie who promised to return my husband back to me. He performed a reconciliation spell which returned Rogers back and now we are both happy again with our boys. If you have issues like mine, send Dr Ilekhojie an Email (gethelp05@gmail.com) or contact him on Whatsapp/Viber (+2348147400259

    ReplyDelete